Pete Denton: BBb Bass
Glad to be back on BBb, he'll be wanting to move to EEb again before long!
Pennine Brass is the first contesting band Pete Denton has played for in Yorkshire - despite the fact that he was born and bred in Leeds and played in the Yorkshire Schools Brass Band in the 1980s.
He studied at the Welsh College of Music and Drama in Cardiff, playing with BTM Band then moving on to Point of Ayr for 4 years. He has made several championship section appearances in the national finals at the Royal Albert Hall as well as three Europeans appearances.
Pete's contesting highlights:
Pete's largely irrelevant fact:
- winning the Welsh Areas 3 times
- coming 5th in the Nationals on Energy (BTM, 1991)
- 3rd in the Europeans (Sounds/Burlesque - Point of Ayr, Kerkrade 1998)
He studied at the same primary school (with the same music teacher) as the late, great John Fletcher.
Pete's main ambitions are:
- To play in the British Open
- To be in a bass section that doesn't fart
Selected quotes about his playing:
- "Rolls Royce Bass Sound" (John Wallace)
- "If you want exciting performances you have to expect the occasional exciting mistake" (John Wilbraham)
- "Given a good BBb tuba, this guy will make a sound that registers as a small earthquake" (Nick Jones)